Search This Blog

Friday 11 September 2015

AN OPEN LETTER TO SUPPORTERS OF EDUCATE THE WORLD [UK] FROM FOUNDER AND CHAIRMAN MR. DEAN BROCKWAY


Dear Supporters,

I felt now was a good time to write this letter as Educate the World [UK] has seen our supporter numbers grow over the past few months.  New supporters have been drawn to the Charity from different sources including our Patron, Scarlett Quigley, and our on-going #spoonappeal.  Whilst I am sure most, and hopefully all, of our supporters are aware of what Educate the World [UK] is aiming to achieve many of you are probably not aware of the Charity’s history and the hurdles it has faced in recent years.

Educate the World [UK] was founded in 2008 by myself, my wife and a close friend and was granted charitable status in 2010.  After growing well in the early years the charity was plunged into a crisis in June 2013 when my wife, Christine, was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  The Founders agonised long and hard about whether to close the charity, however on Christine’s insistence it remained opened and a new trustee was appointed to take her place.  From June 2013 to October 2014 the Charity was largely dormant relying on donations to keep going as I took the role of my wife’s full time carer.  As my wife’s condition deteriorated she made it clear that following her death she wanted the Charity to grow so that our initial hopes and dreams were not wasted.  Sadly Christine passed away on 30th October 2014.

In line with Christine’s wishes we relaunched the charity in February 2015.  The person appointed to replace Christine as a trustee was removed from his position following a serious breach of Trust [he borrowed £700 from me 6 days after my wife’s funeral, promised to pay it back in a couple of weeks and to date has paid nothing back], and several of our partner organisation in Africa we removed following an internal investigation into the way they operate.  He was replaced by Andrea Quigley, the hardly working Mum of our patron Scarlett Quigley.  We were also honoured when the explorer and education advocate Justin Miles starting working with Educate the World [UK] in a consultative capacity.  I would like to place on record my thanks to Andrea, Scarlett and Justin all of whom over the past few months have worked closely with me to help the Charity grow and develop.  As we approach the first anniversary of my wife’s passing I can confidently say that we are successfully growing the charity and as far as I am concerned everything we the Charity does is done in her memory.



R.I.P Christine Brockway Founder of Educate the World [UK] 23-05-1953 to 30-10-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment